December 5, 2008

So You Don't Believe In God, huh?


Let’s put it out in the open: I’m a Christian.

However, nothing that I have written in analysis of Atheism is from a “Christian” perspective. Instead, I’m using my critical thinking, English, “Googling” and reasoning skills to make my case. So while this is my opinion, it’s not supported by “beliefs” only…I know some of ya’ll like to jump to conclusions.

So after reading this article at CNN I was a little frustrated with the faulty argument supplied in support of the anti-religion display found in Seattle, Washington. First, however, I had to address the common misrepresentation of the components of Atheism.

Atheism is the rejection of theism. It’s incorrect for people to use the word “Atheist” as an adjective to describe someone’s actions. An “Atheist” is a noun. You ARE an Atheist. Another thing, there’s a difference between being an Atheist and being “anti-religion.” Atheism is who you are, “anti-religion” is what some Atheists do.

I say this to say that the display seen in Seattle which included the statements, “there are no gods, no devil, no angels, no heaven or hell…” is not an effort to promote the ideas of Atheism, as some would try to make you believe. It is the public practice of anti-religious activities. These activities are aimed at Christians, not other Atheists. Its purpose is to disrupt the beliefs of the religious and therefore it’s immoral and malicious.

You can be an Atheist without contesting the beliefs of Theists. That is what I think most people (including many Atheists) don’t understand. It amazes me that so many Atheists define their status by religion, or the lack thereof. If you “are” something, it is not because of what you “are not.” To clarify, you are not a fisherman, because you are not a carpenter. You just ARE a fisherman.

In place of that rude sign, if I were an Atheist, I’d post pro-Atheism statements as opposed to simple anti-Christianity declarations. Example:

“This Holiday Season, I believe in ME!” or

“I, and I alone, control my destiny…shouldn’t you have control of yours?”

With these statements you are more effective in provoking discourse (the alleged goal of the previous sign according to the article) and even interest in the sponsoring organization. My mother always said you catch more bees with honey.

Now, please don’t be the one to result to the “well they do it too” argument…we’re not 9 year olds! You can not justify an action by its popularity or frequency. I’m not upholding Christians. In fact, I have not mentioned Christians for that reason. I have not “failed” to mention the actions of Christians in promoting “anti-Atheist” ideas…that just wasn’t the topic!

Article: http://tinyurl.com/6foqhv

4 comments:

Justa NaughtyChic said...

I somewhat agree with you however those recommended statements will not garner the attention atheists typically seek. Their intentions, as you stated, are not to bring you to their side per se, but to challenge your beliefs. So being "nice" on a sign will not fit their motivations. Your examples seem no different than any poem stressing people to believe in themselves, and I'd be willing to bet, most of those are written by Christians!

Ms. WrightAllTheTime said...

@JuiceeGaPeach

Your comment points to my statement about Atheist defining their status by religion. Being an Atheist is not about challenging "others." How can YOU be something when you're so caught up in what other people are? This is something I wish Atheists would discuss more. Thanks for the comment. :)

TheDreamReborn said...

I understand why the sign in question could be viewed as "rude" and offensive by Christians. The two alternative examples that you gave also don't seem to differ much from the sentiments expressed on the sign(especially the latter). There isn't much, if anything at all, that an atheist can say in regards to religion without coming off as insensitive, and vice versa. The best thing to do is, keep your beliefs to yourself. Unfortunately, this goes against what most, if not all, religions teach and many atheists believe that it's their duty to share their beliefs also.

Anonymous said...

These recent atheist campaigns in America and abroad are basically proselytizing--challenging theistic beliefs in order to incite change. What I think you're missing about this campaign though is that they're being conducted out of the belief that religious thinking is dangerous to the fabric of society -- because inherent in faith is the suspension of critical thinking, and that's never a good idea for democracy, progress, or even just civility.

Now I'm not sure if I agree with that completely, though I do agree that religion is responsible for a lot of unnecessary BS in the world. Of course it is also responsibility for a lot of community bonds, charitable acts, rehabilitation, and maybe even "joy/transcendence/wellbeing." Still I have to lean towards challenging religion as a good thing, though maybe not so aggressively (you're right, these signs as written do no work other than tweak). I do think it's fine that everyone have their beliefs questioned, whatever they may be (religious or otherwise), if for no other reason than to get their brains turning, and in some cases, maybe come out with their beliefs even stronger at the end of the process.

By the way, where do you get your hair done in Austin?

 

Ms. WrightAllTheTime... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner